Friday, June 19, 2009

CONCORD SEC Clearance Revoked

I flew around Bosena, sweeping space with my directional scanner. It'd been a couple days since I really had a good solo kill. The scanner's sweep revealed plenty of ships in the system, but all were ships I knew I had no business trying to take on solo. Assault Frigates and Battle-Cruisers filled my scanners screen. I continued to hunt, jumping between Bosena, Odde, and Atlar. Eventually, my patience would pay off.

I had gone through Odde and Atlar, not finding anything to attack in either system, and so I returned to Bosena. I thought surely by now there would be a fresh population in the system, and thus, some new potential targets. I jumped back into Bosena and immediately commanded my Rifter to warp a safe spot I have stored in my flight computer, a safe spot on the "busier" side of the system.

I swept the area with my scanner. As I activated the scanner, it pulsed 360 degrees from my ship. I watched the scanner screen, waiting for it's pings to return yummy frigates to pop. The list of returns from the scanner's ping populated. At the top of the list, a Rifter. I grinned. I set about manipulating the scanner's scan radius. A practice that has become all of instinctual now. Quickly, I minimized the other frigate's position to a cluster of celestials that neighbored the jump gate into Teon. One planet, three Asteroid belts. I commanded my Rifter to warp to the planet. This new location I would then use to scan the individual belts that orbited the planet. My original scan spot was too far away to do so.

I came out of warp, and started scanning the individual belts. First belt, nothing. Second belt, eureka! I engaged my Rifter's warp drives yet again, and my Rifter threw itself towards the asteroid belt I had pin-pointed my prey in. As I warped to the belt, the ritual of combat began. I set about priming my combat modules - weapons, tank, tackling gear. All was ready for the pounce.

I exited warp, the asteroid belt came into focus. Huge rocks of various ore all around me. I'd warped in to the zero-point, hoping I'd land close to the other Rifter. Disappointingly though, he was out about 20k away from me. It wasn't optimal, but not necessarily terrible for my odds of being about to engage the frigate. I engaged my afterburner and started screaming towards the other Rifter. I watched, as the distance between us minimized, expecting the other capsuleer to see me and warp out of the belt.

I closed to within 10k, I engaged my targeting computer and my tackling gear had the other Rifter pinned within mere seconds. I engaged my autos and rocket launcher, set a more appropriate orbit range for my T2 ammo, and started to monitor my foe's ship vitals as well as my own. It took him a little while to engage me despite the fact I'd lost the element of surprise when I warped in to the belt so far away from him. He'd had ample time to either run, or be prepared to engage me.

His Shields melted, and his armor caved. About the time I had him into structure, I started getting warnings that other ships were coming out of warp into the belt. Sure enough, there sat a Battlecruiser about 30k out from me. Sure enough, it was a member of the same corp as the Rifter pilot I was currently engaged. I had to laugh. I overheated my auto cannons in an effort to pop the other frigate as quickly as possible. My escape from his corp mate wasn't impossible yet. As his ship was about to give up the last bit of structure it had left I received more bad news. Two more ships, larger then me, had just jumped into the belt. More corp mates of the Rifter pilot. The other Rifter popped, and I quickly set about trying to warp out and save my little Rifter.

My little Rifter had already done more damage in Isk, then it was worth. She had performed well, I wasn't quite ready to loose her just yet. It wasn't to be though. The 3 Battlecruisers had me pinned. My warp drive would not activate. My Rifter's life would very quickly end. I set about programming my pod for the warp out of the belt. I knew it would be a matter of moments now. My Rifter quickly succumbed under the onslaught of the Battlecruiser and their drones. My pod ejected as she blew, and entered warp almost instantaneously. I set destination for home. Time to go pick up a new Rifter.

Luckily, I have several Rifters sitting in my hanger, with just enough modules to fit them and be ready to head out almost immediately. I docked up in my pod. Having already sent communications to my hanger crew that I was inbound and in need of a new frigate, it would only be a matter of a few minutes before I had my pod inside a new Rifter. Then I would just need to wait out my GCC inside the station before undocking - lest this new frigate become the victim of CONCORD sentry guns.

Once me criminal flag expired, I set out again to hunt some more. So far today, I was 1 for 1. Not a terrible ratio, but I wanted to try for 1 more kill for the day. I jumped back through the pipe into Bosena. My scanner reported the same ships that had just felled my last Rifter. I continued to press on towards Illamur, hopping I'd find something there. It wouldn't be though, and I soon decided to start making my way back home. I set destination and as I passed through the systems down the pipe towards home I'd scan around attempting to stumble on something worth engaging.

I jumped into Heild, and warped from the gate to a safe spot. My scanner reported a Rupture not far away. I checked the local comms system to see who was in system with me. The only other pilot was a lone Minmatar. A recent graduate from the Republic Military academy. She was just under a month old. I knew that she would not have the skill, or equipment to really fly her Cruiser sized ship effectively. I set about narrowing down her position. It wouldn't take long.

I warped to the asteroid belt I suspected her to be in based on my scanner readouts. I landed at the zero-point in the middle of the belt. The Rupture was sitting just 6,000 meters away. I had her tackled almost immediately after exiting warp. She was engaged already with a small gang of the local Angels pirates. I had switched to hail ammunition and set me orbit range nice and tight to my foe. Round after round from my T2 Autos as well as the Angels pounded hard against the Rupture's hull. It eventually gave way to the assault. I saw her pod eject from the wreckage. I immediately set about locking it. Lock Resolved, warp scrambler active. I had the pod pinned. I didn't feel like negotiating - I engaged my auto cannons. Her pod evaporated under my guns, but by this time the Angels pirates had turned their attention towards me and I was taking heavy fire myself. Not interested in loosing my ship to them, I warped out without scooping the corpse or investigating the wreckage. The kill was really all I was interested in anyway. Hopefully, she had an updated clone.

As I sat in a safe spot and waited out my global criminal countdown, I received a message. It was from CONCORD. My activities over the last several weeks had cost me small bits of my security status with CONCORD - they don't like it when you just go around randomly blowing up ships, especially capsuleer pods. It seemed my latest stunt had cost my security status a healthy chunk. I had dipped to just below -5.00, and I was now exiled from High-Security space. Exiled from the safety of CONCORD. I was now, in the eyes of CONCORD and every state in New Eden, an Outlaw.

I grinned as I planned my route home. I didn't give a shit about the negative sec status. Hell, that'd been the goal all along.

~ Yarr.

No comments:

Post a Comment